Thursday, April 27, 2006

biopsy day

The preliminary biopsy report: negative for malignancy. I still have to wait for the definitive tests and the full report to be sure, but that was good news.

It was a long day, even longer than yesterday, and I spent about 3 hours lying in the ultrasound room while doctors tried to get a sample from the enlarged nodes. There was some question as to which node should be biopsied, because there was more than one under the big lump on the side of my neck, which is probably why there is a big lump there. There was a chain of 3 or 4 nodes, none of which was very large, but only one was there in February.

I don't know what to think. I'm relieved that it was negative. I'm glad the test is over, and I expect the full report to be negative also. If it is, then our summer can proceed as planned, which will be wonderful.

I'm too tired to think straight, really, and kind of loopy from not eating properly (light breakfast, large decaf mocha for "lunch"). I still feel as if I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, and probably will until the full report comes in. I'm not at all comforted to know that there's now a little chain of 1+ cm nodes in my neck, and I have no assurances whatsoever about the deeper nodes that were seen in Houston in February, since the u/s tech couldn't see around my trachea with her equipment. So I have no answers about why my throat is feeling more lumpy now than it did before my first surgery, although scarring and adhesions are one likely explanation.

At least it's over, and the preliminary was negative, and now, hopefully, I can relax.

No comments: