Thursday, September 08, 2005

Y to the rescue!

In my continuing effort to prove the old adage "the squeaky wheel gets the grease," I called my endo's office today, but with a slightly different strategy.

Instead of asking general nebulous questions about the status of my referral, I asked to speak to Y. Y was spectacularly competent in making sure I got my Thyrogen shots. I gave her a brief rundown of what happened at Friday's appointment, and asked her what I could expect from the process.

She surprised me by saying, "Let me take care of this for you. I'll pull everything together and get it to the doctor, and I'll get back to you." My endo, unfortunately, went home sick today and most likely won't be in tomorrow, either. But that's OK because the FNA results won't be back until tomorrow the earliest, anyway. So Y will leave a note for the doctor that she'll handle all this for me, and I should hear something on Monday.

That was a pleasant surprise. Now I am praying for Y that she doesn't come down with my endo's illness!

I reviewed my path report one more time to see what it said about psamomma bodies. Alas, "Psamomma bodies are conspicuous." That would seem to indicate I do have the diffuse sclerosing variant of papillary cancer, which is known to be more aggressive. Well, that would explain all the lymph node activity even while suppressed -- if indeed that's what's going on in those nodes. I'm having a lot of trouble swallowing and my throat is sore, but whether those things are cancer-related or just a sinus cold with post-nasal drip, I can't say.

No comments: