Wednesday, September 14, 2005

feeling a bit like Linda Blair...

You know, when she played the possessed girl in The Exorcist, and her head did that spinning around thing? (Fortunately, that's where the comparison stops!)

The reason I am suffering from psychic whiplash: I got a message today from my endo's office, with my referral information. I missed the call because I was upstairs doing whatever, and my cellphone was downstairs, and the scheduler called my cell instead of the home number. The message was quite brief, basically saying "We're referring you to Dr X, his number is..."

Dr X, I think. Why have I not heard this name before, since I've been chatting about MDA docs with the thycans for a week now? Being me, I immediately get onto the MDA website and plug in his name, and that's when my head started to spin: he is a surgeon in the Head and Neck Department.

I'm sure he's a fine doctor and most likely a brilliant surgeon, but: why am I being referred to a surgeon?

I put in a call to the scheduler, but it's lunch hour and I have to leave a message. By 4:15 I hadn't received a call back, so I called again, and got to talk to the lovely and competent Y, who always helps me out. (By chance, she was answering the phones this afternoon.) I explained the situation to Y, and she said, "Unless they know something we don't, that doesn't make any sense."

So, once again, I have no idea what's going on, other than that I most likely have already been referred to a surgeon -- for what? I'm no way going to have surgery without further testing. Usually you don't get referred to the surgeon until all the tests have been done and you're certain you need surgery.

Man, this is tedious in the extreme, and that first missed phone call was extremely unlucky, because the scheduler left early today. So I have an appointment at 9AM with my cellphone, and will try to get some answers then.

No comments: