Thursday, October 05, 2006

Lost, 3.1

It is a tale
Told by an idiot
full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

-- Macbeth

So, there's Jack, and he's just wrecked, and there's his pretty jailer with the big fat folder, telling him that his ex-wife is happy.

Here's my question: why would Jack, or anyone, ever believe anything an Other says to them?

Also, the implication that it was Jack's fault that his father started drinking again, that Jack's downward spiral and attack on Christian led to him picking up the bottle again -- sorry, not buying it, and I can't believe Jack would, either. If Christian wasn't talking to Sarah, why not show Jack the cellphone and prove it? It makes much more sense that he would hit the bottle out of guilt if he was banging his son's wife, and how exactly would that be Jack's fault? Anyway: ick.

Show makes me crazy. Next week, we'll get to see more characters, including the ones that actually have brains and use them, like Sayid and Sun. I'm not sure how much more of this idiocy I can take. The writers are treating the audience the way the Others treat the Losties. I can enjoy good psych drama and mysteries when they're fictional, but I've always detested headgames in real life. We're only one episode in and I'm already tired of being jerked around.

The quote, "sound and fury, signifying nothing"? That was last night's episode. It was well-paced, beautifully shot, had nicely balanced tensions, the unsettling random explosions of violence, some very nice performances from Matthew Fox, and Evangeline Lily actually acted in a scene or two, which was a nice surprise. Overall, you could say it was good, but I won't, because all it did was dump a whole new set of questions on us without ever answering any of the old ones.

No comments: