Tuesday, October 25, 2005

for the curious.

And for comparison purposes as the scar heels in the weeks and months ahead -- here is a photo of my incision and the bandage over my drain, at 5 days post-op. Don't click on the link if you're at all squeamish.

There's still a bit of swelling and odd puffiness in my throat, I'm sure it will take a while for that to subside. I know the front of my throat may look different when healing is complete because of the paratracheal dissection; the doctor removed some muscles from the front of my neck. He informs me that as a result I will no longer be able to sing vibrato, but I assured him that was no loss.

I haven't really tried to sing since the surgery -- just a few notes here and there, and it did feel weird but then again everything throat-related, including speaking and swallowing, feels weird now.

As DH was cleaning the drain site last night I said, I feel like something from a science fiction movie.

He didn't miss a beat: You mean like The Borg?



Yeah, well, at least I don't have a tube coming out of my skull.

4 comments:

Sheik Yerbootie said...

COOL!!!

Did they install a zipper while they were at it? :>)

nina said...

Okay, so I did not look at the photo. But I caught up on your return home and I am so glad you are recovering well!
Vibrato is way overrated. The best choral music hasn't a single vibrato in it and it is magnificent!

Mamasita said...

Okay, since you seem to have a sense of humor despite all that you have gone through, I'm sure SOMEone had to have said something about Halloween and the Bride of Frankenstein...right? I mean that neck incision is pretty spot on when it comes to that. LOL That borg reference cracks me up. We all love Jean Luc Picard and Star Trek Next Generation and we are always quoting The Borg. I hope you feel better soon. Thank you so much for keeping us updated. Your attitude is stellar, but remember, if you have some down days, that is TOTALLY normal. You've been through a physical trauma to your body and it's bound to have an effect. {{{{Joan}}}}

Sheik Yerbootie said...

That's a good point - one hell of a Halloween costume.

All you'd need is a couple of electrodes on either side of your neck and some green face paint.

You do realise that you are the perfect target at this point, right? :>)