Tuesday, June 27, 2006

at last, the beach

(I've left the cable that my camera needs to connect to the computer at home. I'll have to see about that.)

It was a long day, again, but good for the kids if somewhat nerve-wracking for me. Breakfast, school work, errands. After errands, the plan was: lunch, then beach.

But, as we drove down the street, we saw that all the neighborhood kids were out with a sprinkler, and the kids wanted to stay home so they could play.

It's so ordinary, playing with the kids next door (or, in this case, across the street)... yet it's something they rarely get to do at home. We're so scheduled: school, homework, swimming/dance/soccer, RE classes. By the time it's all done, it's time for dinner, bath, and bed. But here, in the infinitely long, empty days of summer, sure! Go play, we'll go to the beach later.

The kids bounced back and forth between the houses a little bit but once again gravitated over here (as they had done yesterday); I fed them all microwave s'mores for a snack. Their mom came and picked them up around 4-ish, but by the time we got to the beach it was after 5... and glorious.

Last year at this time we were dealing with weeds and jellies. Today, the beach was pristine, and not nearly as rocky as last year. We'll see how long that lasts. We stayed till 7-ish. The kids bathed while I made dinner, then there was just enough time for me to cleanup (there is no dishwasher here) before sending them off to bed.

Pictures coming when I can upload them...

No comments: