Monday, April 16, 2007

shift

I reach my peak ambition routinely somewhere around 12:30AM. Everything seems easy, then, and I can see with stark clarity all the little steps I need to do to complete some larger task.

Eventually I go to bed, and then I wake up and all that ambition and clarity is... submerged. It's not gone entirely, it's just very hard to reach.

It's a rare day when the inspiration/energy combination hits me early enough so I can actually get something significant done before the kids get home from school. I get hung up on the idea that it's not worth starting because I know I will be interrupted before I can finish, but I know that's an excuse.

The question is, how do I get over that? I want to be able to work more, and more efficiently, during the day. I'm out of practice, too used to writing being night-shift work.

1 comment:

Mark said...

As I get older I've come to the realization that I get more done early in the day myself. I'm not sure if this is quite the answer that you are looking for, but a book that helped me prioritize my activities and chores was "Getting Things Done" by David Allen. It really helped with my stress management issues.