I'm having a problem with the links my blog generates to individual posts. It doesn't attach the ".html" suffix to the URL the way it should, and because the filetype is missing, Firefox and Opera browsers can't access the pages.
Why should I care? Because my latest submission to Grand Rounds was booted because it wasn't viewable under those browsers. This is the third or fourth time I've been shut out of a carnival because there's something wrong with my template.
Since blog carnivals and Grand Rounds are about the only "publishing" (ha) I do these days, it is annoying when I can't -- especially when I've actually written something to submit by the deadline.
So today for the first time in about five years I found myself diving into HTML and CSS and staring with blank eyes at some Java Script, too -- at least that's what I think it was. Damned if I can figure out what's going on.
Fortunately, I found the Blogger Forum and there are knowledgeable people there, and I am hopeful that we (meaning they) can figure this thing out.
I admit, walking through the code was kind of ... exciting. I liked it, and not just because it was familiar. I liked having to dust off my problem-solving gears, even though I still haven't solved the problem. I remember when I used to do this kind of thing 10 hours a day! I thought. Don't want to go there again, but maybe I could get a part-time, flexible-hours gig when DS2 starts kindergarden in the fall. Hmmmmm....
Update: The fix worked! Post URLs from here on out will contain the proper ".html" extension. Old posts are stuck with the URLs they already have, but that's OK, because I don't want everyone's links to my old posts (not that there are so many, but there are a non-zero number out there) to suddenly become invalid. Thanks go to the Blogger Forum moderator redryder52, who immediately identified the problem in my archive settings. YAY!