Wednesday, November 30, 2005

December's column up

I'm happy that my date nut bread column made it into the December Low Carb Luxury magazine; I was a bit past deadline when I finally sent it off. It really is a great recipe... I should make some more and use up the rest of that box of dates I bought.

That's the problem with dates: they are so sugar-laden that I don't dare eat them the way I used to: I remember when I was a kid I used to make 2 kinds of date treats: one was stuffed with peanut butter, dipped in beaten egg white, and rolled in granulated sugar; the other was stuffed with a maraschino cherry, dipped in beaten egg white, and rolled in sweetened coconut flakes. I loved those maraschino cherry-coconut ones, but the peanut butter ones were so delicious, too. We only ever had them at Christmas, and because we had a big family, I had to make a lot. I loved having my own job to do to help get ready for the holidy. Of course I loved eating them, too.

Anyway, it's nice to have a way to enjoy dates that doesn't mess with my blood sugar. Plus with all the almonds and zucchini, it's a really great source of fiber & veggies, so it's actually quite good for you. Now that's a real treat!

No comments: