Friday, November 11, 2005

cancer update

I got a call this afternoon from S, the nurse in Houston. For some reason she had just received another copy of the same labs that were faxed over two weeks ago. Neither one of us could figure out an explanation other than the lab, for some reason mailing the results after faxing them over immediately, but hey, no big deal.

Since I had her on the phone, I took the opportunity to quiz her about my pathology report. The details as best I recall are: 25 nodes were removed, 9 were positive. Most of the positive nodes were at Level 3 and 4 (I'm not sure what that means.) All of the cancer was encapsulated. There was no vascular invasion. The muscle tissue that was removed showed no invasion. The diagnosis on the cancer itself continued to be standard metatastic papillary thyroid cancer -- not an aggressive variant or anything weird.

The bottom line is, there is good reason to believe they got it all.

For my trip in February, it will be a quick in-and-out, diagnostics on Monday, doctor's appointment on Tuesday, can fly home Tuesday evening. We're not expecting any surprises, S said drily when I asked her about whether other tests would be necessary.

So I don't have to worry about LID or Thyrogen or nuclear scans or any of that stuff. I know I've said this before but there's a good chance that this really is the last treatment I'll need. I'd really like never to have RAI again. That would be so cool.

At physical therapy this morning, Elf was raving about my scar. She couldn't get over how great it looks. Now if I could just get the feeling back in my neck, everything will be cool.

2 comments:

nina said...

Oh, how cool is that! I guess I never really understood that you could be free of therapies after this (if all goes well). This (at least to me) is great news! Indeed, if I am understanding it well (it's so hard via posts), it may be the best news I have read on any blog any time.

Liz said...

Hi-I was reading your blog for the first time this morning-link from another blog-

I also had thyroid cancer and had surgery at MD Anderson. I would be interested in "comparing notes". By the way I always have trouble with the nurses and clerks in the endo. department.