Monday, July 26, 2004

winding down

Only one full day of vacation left, now.  *sigh*

It was cool today, just over 70 degrees, and the sun was off-and-on, but we finally said, OK, let's go to the beach, in the late afternoon... surprisingly, it was calm and there were no waves to speak of when we got there.  DS2 had such fun marching in and out of the water, even though the air felt very cold once you got out of the warm water.  I didn't swim today, DH went in with the kids and I looked for shells for a dear friend back in AZ... slim pickings, but I did find her some small pretty ones. 

On the beach today I was overcome with resistance to the idea of leaving.  See, I know, really and truly, that living here is not the same as visiting on vacation.  It isn't always summer.  It doesn't always look this glorious.  Even though we haven't had idyllic weather, it has still been nice... no hot humid muggy days except for when we were in CT which was OK because the ILs have a/c!  Timing is everything...

I told DH I didn't want to leave.  He said, "Well, get your writing career going so we can buy a house out here,"  and he was only half-kidding, or perhaps not kidding at all.  He likes it here, too.  So that's an interesting thought, a new goal, past the kids' college educations and just keeping everything paid up and saving for the eventual new cars and vacations and what not: what would it really take for us to get a house out here?  Lots and lots o' cash, that's for sure...

Still, I think this vacation has gone very well, and I don't see any reason why I can't do it again next year.  That's something to look forward to... I'm sad I didn't get into Boston at all, but with the DNC starting, it was a mess anyway, it was just not a good idea.  And with DS2 getting sick that threw a wrench into the works as well.  But we've had a splendid time and we'll be able to do more and more as the kids get older. 

I'm thrilled with my arthritis meds.  Sleeping could be better, but I'm going to wait and see how it is at home before upping the Ambien.  I only take a half now, so I have a lot of leeway there.  I do think my thyroid meds will need further adjustments, too, but we'll just wait and see.  Right now I know there are a lot of things to be done when we get home, so I'm just going to relax for the next two days until we actually get there, and then start worrying about all that!

Last blog till we get home!

No comments: