Thursday, January 09, 2020

been a while

I fielded a thyroid cancer support call this evening... for about 3 hours, and now my right arm/shoulder are feeling messed up.  I don't really get it, because I hold the phone to my left ear, but the best I can figure is tweaked a muscle somewhere, again -- I slept on it badly over the weekend (I think) and it was bothering my on Sunday while I was doing errands, but I took some ibuprofen and it quit.  Now, days later, it's back again.

Another blast from the past: I made us Quick Shrimp Diane for dinner tonight, doing the vast majority of the prep one-handed while I listened and occasionally responded to the new patient.  Came out awesome, and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

I haven't been sleeping well.  I think my thyroid meds are out of balance now (too much T3 for the amount of T4 I'm taking), but mostly I think I'm distressed about DD being back up at school and doing God-knows-what.  She posted on Instagram about bleaching her hair again (looks cute, but she just spent literal years growing out the last bleach job...) and getting back together with her ex, and that has been giving me literal heart-ache.  Her ex was not good for her, in more ways than I can count, and was a big reason that the entire family started off last year in a state of upheaval.  In a brief but friendly text exchange DD tells me they're just texting "for now, we'll see," to which I responded: I have a total lack of objectivity here, but you can do MILES better. Guard your heart, sweetie. 

She lol'd and said thanks, so there's that.

I feel better that we've at least acknowledged that it's happening.  I hate when she hides significant parts of her life from us... she has a track record of ending up hurt from these situations.  She's 21 now, but I think all the pot-smoking is prolonging her adolescence.  I don't think it matters how old she is, anyway.  I can't be casual about one of my children putting themselves in a perilous situation.  I pray I don't have to get used to it!

No comments: