Saturday, December 28, 2019

once more, with feeling?

Doctor's office called today with results from my latest blood test.  My TSH is stubbornly clinging to 0.2 so my dose has been reduced again to 100 mcg/day, down from 137.  That's a big drop.

I'm still taking my 5 mcg/day of Cytomel, though, and I'm wondering if that's what's keeping my TSH so low.   I did some research on this today and found a stat somewhere saying the T4/T3 ratio should be 80:20 or optimally 90:10.  My ratio has increased from 137:5 to 112:5, which is quite low, and I honestly don't know if that's enough to keep the TSH suppressed.  I should probably write an email to the doctor and ask her if she wants me to go off the T3.  I wasn't happy before when I went off it, but who knows what will happen now?

I have to say, I'm feeling pretty thrown by all this.  I used to be on top of all the developments related to thyroid cancer and recovery treatments but obviously I'm not.  This past blood test, for the first time ever (in more than 15 years!) I was directed to stop taking any biotin-containing supplements for a week before the draw.  I still have no idea why -- I asked the nurse about it and all she could tell me was that she was relatively new to working in the Endocrine Clinic but that she had always written the orders that way.  I'm did a quick search and this article came up which explains the situation.  Now I'm wondering how screwed up my tests results may have been all these years, because I've been taking the same B vitamin complex supplement for ages.

I did take some time and read up on A-fib and low TSH, and apparently it's a big enough thing that even WebMD has an article about it.  OK, OK, if I really am cancer-free it's manifestly better that my TSH be closer to 1 than 0.  I get it.   Most of the articles I'm seeing were published in the last couple of years, when I really haven't been paying attention to this stuff very much.  Also, I have been convinced for years that I needed a higher dose of levothyroxine to suppress my TSH and keep any cancer cells dormant. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I've been eating a little wheat here and there -- crackers with some cheese at lunch, a few cookies.  Nothing like pizza for dinner or a plate of pasta, that just seems like it will be too much, but the amounts I have eaten have not bothered my digestion or made my joints swell.  Were all my wheat problems a side-effect of too much thyroid hormone? I have no idea, but it would be pretty awesome if I could eat more like a normal person again without being sick for days afterward.

No comments: