Friday, December 06, 2019

a blur

The week after a holiday is always tough, and this one was exceptionally rough because we had so many odd things going on at school, namely our annual Christmas program, which involves rehearsals which eat up half a day, and then two performances (because the program is split for grades 1-4 and 5-8.)  We had exactly one day this week with a "normal" schedule, and that was Monday.  Every other day's schedule was hijacked by events we had no control over.

And we had Robotics every day after school because tomorrow is our FLL tournament!  I should be sleeping now, but I realize I haven't written in a while and that's no good.

Also adding to this week's feeling of barely-controlled-chaos: 7th grade was in the lab two days doing their mineral identification lab, and 8th grade was in the lab every day except Monday with their thermal energy transfer engineering design challenge.  Kids love building things!  I am so much more comfortable with letting them build than I used to be, but I'm still worn out by trucking back and forth to the science lab several times a day, not to mention prepping several dozen 15-ml ice cubes for the testing phase.

Last but not least? My grade's week to keep the teacher's lounge looking decent, and my co-teacher was out two days for family stuff and off-campus professional development.  (sigh) Fortunately my colleagues are not slobs but still.  The timing was impeccably bad.

All the weirdness this week ate into my prep hours at school, and, as I said, robotics every day after.  I'm behind on grading and have to revise my plans because of new events that popped up for next week, too.  By some blessed foresight I printed everything I needed for this week and will need for nex week before I took off for Thanksgiving, so at least I'm not behind on that front. 

I'll get caught up eventually. Just need to survive tomorrow and then: the 2-week slog to Christmas break!

No comments: