Wednesday, March 28, 2007

mantra

I started to say "new mantra", but honestly I've never had a mantra* before, that I can remember. So this is a first for me, and I'm hoping it will help me curb some of my self-destructive habits, such as staying up all hours watching Turner Classic Movies or obsessively scouring the web for delicious content:

Make good choices.

Easy enough, right?

If only.

----
(*) What is a mantra, anyway? I looked it up, and it seems that I'm somewhere between the two meanings, the first being a sacred verbal chant, the second being a commonly repeated phrase. Obviously "Make good choices" isn't explicitly spiritual. It is a directive to me (think about and do what's best) and an abbreviated plea for help (Lord, help me figure this out!), simultaneously. So it's not really a mantra in either meaning of the word, but I'm going to keep calling it my mantra anyway.

3 comments:

Sheik Yerbootie said...

Let me see - mantras.

Well, I guess I have more than one.

"It's just a jump to the left". A lot of metaphysical meaning there.

"And then a step to the right". This means the opposite of "jump to the left" and is a kind of two steps forward, one step back mantra.

"Put your hands on yours hips". This is very important because if you don't have anything else to do with your hands, your hips are about as good a place as any to put them.

"Pull your knees in tight".
Now this is self-explanatory - in particular if you have a toddler who just has to go to the bathroom.

There are others of course, but that's a subject for another time.

Curtis said...

I think "make good choices" is more of a motto than a mantra. A mantra really has to be able to be chanted to make it work.

My favorite mantra was something that I saw on cable-access TV in Austin, years ago:

I am a being of violet fire
I am the purity God desires


Awesome, isn't it? Say it out loud a few times. I have no idea what it means.

I had the narrator of my novel make up a good one: "Om vodka tonic om." But you have to be a drinking man to make that work.

Ross Ruediger said...

There is nothing in the least bit self-destructive about staying up all night watching TCM.

That is all.