Thursday, March 08, 2007

half past busy, quarter til dead

I'm exhausted.

Mom left Monday morning, and it feels like my responsibilities exploded at the same time.

Work: Monday, Wednesday, today and tomorrow -- but tomorrow is an early release day, so that's not too bad. Monday was fifth grade, OK. Yesterday was middle school language arts, and that was a pip because all the classes had library/computer time. Today and tomorrow: second grade. Oy. Even though the class is small, it's still frazzling.

I'd been trying to figure out why that is and I realized that part of the problem is that DD, who is in second grade, is more mature than most of these kids. Of course she's older than most of them, having a birthday in early November, but that's not all that's going on. Some of it is personality and capabilities, and some of it I can chalk up to "behaviors I will not put up with," like baby talk. I can't imagine using baby talk to a teacher ever, but I've run into it a few times this week, and not just in second grade. Weird.

When I haven't been at work, I've been trying to get other stuff done like taking DH's car to have the tires rotated and balanced, or grocery shopping, or finally trekking over to the swim shop in Tempe for DD's fins and stuff for the swim team. Also house cleaning, which went long neglected in the run-up to the workshop, and laundry, which falls back to me since Mom isn't here to do it anymore.

I'm ready for spring break! And I'm ready to find out my test results. I choked on my own spit twice today, once in class -- fortunately not while I was doing a class lesson. I can't have that thing happening in school with any frequency, it's too disturbing. It's not that I'm actually choking or in any danger at all (not even in danger of having a panic attack), it just looks and sounds very bad. Can't go scaring the little ones! So if it's not recurrence then I shall try to get in to see my ENT to hear what he says.

Meanwhile, Cooper had ear mites but no urinary tract infection, so there's no explanation for him peeing on the clean laundry other than him marking it for his own (ewww).
Yes, I'm quite comfortable. Why do you ask?

We've just determined Alice (above) is deaf, and that will necessitate another trip to the vet for a check-up to see if there's anything we can do for her. She's a happy cat so I shouldn't feel sad for her, I know, but at this point in the week I am so depleted that every little thing falls like an anvil.

Obviously I need to work on both my physical and emotional stamina.

No comments: