Tuesday, March 21, 2006

it's that time again

How's the scar?
Neck dissection scar at 5 months post-op


For an indication of how far I've come, here is the 5 day post-op photo, and here is the 3 month post-op photo.

I didn't take this latest photo; I cropped it from the series of images I now have on disc from my mole mapping, also known as "total body baseline" series of photographs. The process was painless but bizarre: standing still against the blue background in various poses, in various states of undress, while the kindly impersonal photographer directs you to hold various limbs at various angles. The whole thing took less than 10 minutes, but there's no way to not be acutely self-conscious during the entire process.

The disc has software that lets you zoom in and around, and of course I looked at some of the photos. I have, without exaggeration, a zillion spots/freckles/moles -- in other words, things that I need to keep an eye on, melanoma-wise. I'm glad I had this done, no matter how much I cringe when I see the photo of my backside.

No comments: