Sunday, July 01, 2018

incarcerated

Yes, that's exactly how it feels.  Of course I'm not locked up anywhere, I could go out every day if I wanted to, but I don't.  It only helps a little that I'm the one who imposed the house arrest.

To recap: a little more than 3 weeks ago I broke my right big toe (in 2 places!) in an unfortunate furniture moving accident. Luckily, I'm off for the summer, so I can sit around all day with my foot up, periodically icing it and praying for it to heal quickly.  (I have a long and distinguished record of healing very slowly. )

So, home, and cabin fever is setting in. I went out three times this past week. Last Sunday being out for a while became very painful, but by the end of the week, I could tolerate standing for much longer periods of time.  The toe doesn't look very swollen when it's elevated, but when I stand on it for any length of time, it swells up again. This is a bummer because the chief indicator of healing is that the swelling has gone down.  I have been so good about staying off of it and keeping it elevated. Why isn't it better? Ah, yes, that long and distinguished history of mine -- plus the reality that broken toes take 6-8 weeks to heal, and it has only been three.

We're heading to the east coast soon, and I am dreading the travel.  Practically everything we do back east involves walking around. I'm trying to imagine walking on sand (as in, going to the beach) and all I can think is, Ow nope nope nope not gonna happen, and that thought makes me sad.

I'm trying somewhat successfully not to ruminate on how bad it's going to be and what I won't be able to do, and thus avoid being simultaneously full of both self-pity and self-loathing.  I am achieving this partial success by distracting myself with reading and watching things (indie movie The Endless was cool, just started The Hollow Crown series of Shakespeare's political plays).  The reading, of course, leads me to still be up at 4:30AM because I no longer have any kind of a regular sleep schedule, and I'm going a bit crazy being stuck here as I am.

Would I be doing different things if I hadn't broken the toe? There are a few things, yes, but the reality is, probably not much different.  Most of the time I don't even have a car at my disposal, since we have three cars and three working people in the house now.  If my toe weren't broken I would be chauffeuring someone back and forth to work, so I could have a car.  As it is, I'm spared the hassle, and dealing with the heat, which has cranked up to its usual AZ horrors.  I'm certainly spending less money than I would be if I were out and about as I usually would be, so there's another upside.

Seeing the doctor Monday morning, we'll see what she says.  Sleep is hard to come by in my current state, but I'll give it a try.

No comments: