Wednesday, August 10, 2005

firsts

DS1 and DD survived their first day of school!

Not that I had any doubts they would. They were both quite enthusiastic about it this morning:


My own feelings were a lot more ambiguous. DS2 and I hung out in pj's on our computers most of the day. I am in a funk but eventually it will lift, there are a lot of reasons for it but mostly it is just carving out a new groove back here in AZ. I find myself on autopilot way too often, lost not in daydreams but nothingness, so when I miss a turn or go completely the wrong way, or otherwise "come to" and realize I have no idea how I spent the preceding quarter hour, I don't even have the excuse of a distracting train of thought.

Apparently all the trains have left the station, I suppose they'll be back eventually.

Oh, I do need to note with amazement: DS1 (8-and-a-half) put a new roll of toilet paper on the holder this afternoon. By himself. Without me asking him to do it. I tried not to make too big a deal of this, because I don't want him thinking it's all that amazing. But really? Yeah, it is, especially considering the number of adults I know who apparently have yet to master this tiny, but important, life skill.

1 comment:

nina said...

Okay -- of course you know you have to get used to these transitions when the kids either leave your days empty or, in the alternative, flood your minutes with their issues. I find that it is a constant see-saw, even when they are adults. Here, not here, sadness at their departure, getting used to their presence (and their daily struggles). back and forth. It never ends.