Sunday, October 04, 2020

You can get used to anything.

 Last Monday, I realized it had happened.  We'd survived 2 weeks of in-person hybrid teaching and were about to embark on Week 3 when I caught myself mentally ticking off the things I needed to do, with no extra anxiety or irritation.

You really can get used to anything.  

Now we've been through three weeks of this insanity, and we're adjusting as we go because it doesn't seem as if it's going to end any time soon, in spite of AZ's continuously improving COVID-related metrics.  Chandler public schools will be back in-person after their fall break on Oct 13, but we have no such promises, being a private and lawsuit-shy school.  At this point, I just shrug and say, we do what we have to do

At least this week will be short, I'm taking off Friday's professional development day.  Next week will be, as well -- we have Monday off as a holiday.  Yay! 

DS2 is now Army Private DS2, and will be leaving for basic training in Missouri on October 26, exactly 2 months after he was originally scheduled to leave.  His MOS has changed completely, and he'll be working under Top Secret clearance when he has completed his training.  I can't really believe it's happening, but I suppose it is.  It will be so good for him to not be idle.  It has been too long since he's had something productive to do.

Science fair is well under way, more or less.  Again, continuous improvement (she laughs) -- this year I literally told each student exactly what he or she needed to look up for their research, and so far the results are somewhat better.  I just spent about 2 hours making a clickable Research Directory, and looking up articles for new topics my students are experimenting with this year.  Is it possible for something to be simultaneously tedious and fun?  I suppose not.  Making the Research Directory, with its 100+ links, was tedious.  Finding new articles for my students was fun.  

So, tomorrow will be grading research paper drafts.  I managed to get all my lesson planning and curriculum development done for all 3 subjects between yesterday and today, which is fantastic.  I made the effort this week to work on planning and curriculum during my prep hours, and it paid off.  I need to keep that up, but there has to be a balance between grading and planning/development.  I must do the planning (can't have idle students!), so the grading gets pushed.  Fortunately much more of the grading this year is of the "Import Grades" variety, where I push a button and Google tells me how the students scored.  Of course I created all these assignments so it's not as if I'm not investing anything there, it's just that the investment is up front.  I'm sincerely hoping I can use all this stuff again next year.

I'm loving the new tools I have for student engagement, but I'm still struggling with how little discussion there is in my classes these days.  Mostly because students are writing their responses, but I miss the talking that's not me!  I will see what I can do about that this week.  Last week I managed to convert two of my favorite assignments, one for 7th science and one for 8th science (the Laws of Motion workbook.)  I'm reasonably certain the 8th graders will be able to handle using Google Draw to create their force diagrams.   We'll see how it goes.

That's all anyone can do at this point, right? Even though we're all used to this now.


No comments: