Sunday, October 25, 2020

gone

 Friday was an easy teaching day but became a hard day when communication with some parents didn't go well.  Apparently, "many people are upset with my communication style," which was news to me.  I told my admin, you can take the girl out of Boston but you can't take the Boston out of the girl.  I'm direct but I try to be as kind as possible.  There are times, though, when parents have to be told things they don't want to hear.   As the school year progresses and we work to hold students accountable, we're finding some parents aren't with us in that struggle.  

If you're talking about being "triggered" because your kid was assigned a detention for too many missing assignments, you've taken on a victim mentality.  That evil philosophy has no place in a Christian heart.  We all suffer, and we unite our suffering to Christ's on the Cross, but we work through our suffering as best we can to accomplish what we were put here to do.

Perhaps I wouldn't be so prickly about all that if it weren't happening now.  I did not intend to work until 5PM on Friday, but I did.  Even so, when I came home, DS2 and I went over his packing list and then went out to pick up the last few things he needed.  Even with the new packable down jacket, he could still fit everything into his backpack.  The packing list was remarkably short. 

I sat beside my baby at Mass yesterday so I could hear him sing one more time before he goes. 

Today I made a blueberry cake, a taste more than any that says "home."  But after fixing us all breakfast, I've basically been spinning my wheels all day.  We dropped the boy off at the recruiting station at 2 o'clock, and then did a few errands and came home.   He gave me a really wonderful hug and even said, "I love you, Mom."  By this time tomorrow, he'll be in Missouri where he'll go through boot camp.  We'll see him next at Christmas. 

My heart is feeling very squished.

I was feeling very "Christopher Robin leaving the Hundred Acre Woods"  (near-crippling nostalgia) so I called DD and had a lovely chat with her, and am feeling a bit better.  

It's just going to take a while to get used to this new reality, and for my heart to get used to that particular piece that resides in my younger son to be so very far away.  

No comments: