Tuesday, October 22, 2019

meds update

On Friday, my endocrinologist called me when I was hanging out in DFW between flights, and we had a brief conversation about my dosage.

She wants to lower it again.

So now, after 15 years or so on 137 mcg/day, I'm down to 112.  Dropping to 125 mcg/day barely budged my TSH, from 0.1 to 0.2, and the doctor has targeted 0.5 for me.  I suppose I'm used to the lower dose, more or less, but I did tell her about feeling slow and stupid, and the hives.  She was skeptical that any of that had anything to do with the thyroid medication changing, and in that, she is typical of every endocrinologist ever, in direct contradiction to every thyroid patient's experience ever.

But I asked her again why she wanted to reduce my dose so much, and she is worred that I'll have a fatal arrhythmia or a stroke or a heart attack, and since both my parents had heart problems, I am trying to be more agreeable about it.

I wonder when she'll go for my 5 mcg/day of Cytomel?  I know my chart notes mention how attached to it I am, and I know in the past when I've given it up, my autoimmune symptoms worsened considerably.  At that point, though, I hadn't yet figured out that I have a problem with wheat, so who knows what would happen now?

I don't go for my blood test until the end of November.  I'll continue to track how I'm doing here, so I have some data over the course of this grand little experiment.  I have noticed I am having fewer palpitations, but that hasn't dropped to zero.  Also, my pulsatile tinnitus is back, but that may have something to do with the huge right-side lymph node under my jaw,  which is dealing with the remnants of the upper respiratory crud that descended upon last week.

No comments: