Thursday, June 06, 2019

same foot, different summer

Yesterday was a very busy and productive day: the two boys and I finally, finally painted DS2's room.  Yay!

Except on the way back up to his room to finish up the second coat, I stubbed my little toe on the rug that is usually in the hall -- I had flipped it over so it wouldn't get (any more) paint dripped on it accidentally.  And then I walked right into it, smashing my little toe in the process.

I have a podiatrist now, after smashing my big toe last summer and breaking it in 3 places. I spent most of the summer in a boot, praying it would heal before school started.  It did, and I've been very cautious about going barefoot since then, and especially since the neuroma kicked up in my right foot, too.  Why is it always the right foot?

Anyway, saw the doctor, she took x-rays, and showed me how it was broken in 3 places. Horrifying, actually.  No cast, just buddy-taping, and she wants me to wear the boot again for another six weeks.

Not likely...I feel barely recovered from the hip damage I developed from wearing the boot last summer, and this isn't a big toe, which you really need for balance and walking, etc.  This is just a baby toe!  Sure, it's kind of purple now, and I will keep it elevated, and ice it, and all that stuff, but I refuse to surrender another summer entirely.  Also, I've got sandals that accomplish pretty much the same thing.  We'll see how it goes.


No comments: