Sunday, August 19, 2012

priorities

It's not even 8:30PM and I've already finished my lesson plans for the week.  Of course I still have a huge stack of grading to do, but grading is easier.   I've been thinking about what's really important to me, and therefore what I should be giving my time to -- it helps me limit the amount of time I spin my wheels, doing nothing and then getting annoyed with myself.  Here's my list in no particular order:

Sleep.  This hit the top of the list last weekend when I was up until 1AM finishing up last week's lesson plans.  No more of that, not when I'm getting up earlier to try to fit in all these new priorities.

Cooking.  It's therapeutic for me.  At least one great meal during the week, and at least one really great meal on the weekend.  Plus Sunday breakfast, and pancakes for the kids during the week, and stuff for me to bring to work to eat (like hard-boiled eggs).  I made a blueberry pie today -- 20 minutes from walking into the kitchen to putting the pie in the oven.  It's not hard, I just have to do it.

Spanish: I missed three or four days last week -- we had something scheduled every night.  It's the same this week, but there's no reason I can't put in 10 minutes here or there.

Distant Friends:  Every summer I get together with my East Coast friends and then it seems as if we retire to separate planets.  Every year we say, "We have to keep in touch better!" But then we don't.  So this year, I'm writing more -- just little updates when there's news. It's another thing that only takes 10 minutes here or there... easy, and so lovely to hear from them.

Down Time: Whether it's watching a show or two with DH or the kids, reading, or just brushing the cat, I need some time to myself every day.

That's the list for now, but DH put together the new Total Gym he bought last week, and I will learn how to use that.  Exercise is probably the best therapy for RA, and even though mine has settled back down, I'd like to keep it at bay.



No comments: