Thursday, November 22, 2018

possibly a record

I finished prep for tomorrow at 9:22 PM, only 22 minutes later than I had intended.  The very last thing on the list for today was brining the turkey, which I wanted done by 9 so I could get it out at 9 in the morning, in preparation for the oven just a little bit later.  Brining had to wait for the dinner dishes to be cleared away, though, so it was just a little late.

Miraculously, though, the pies were already out of the oven by that time.  Only two this year, both apple, and I have both pie crusts and apples to make another.  We'll see.  My ambitions have shrunk over the years, along with my ability to eat all the stuff I love to bake!  One piece of DD's birthday blueberry pie a few weeks ago knocked me back for nearly a week.  I can medicate my way out of the joint pain and the digestive upset, but that's no way to live.

Today's marathon began with early morning shopping for those last minute things like green beans, followed by prepping for tomorrow, then picking up DS1 at school, then more prepping, then getting In-n-Out Burger for everyone for lunch because let's face it, there was nothing to eat now, then more prepping, including putting on a big pot of meat sauce so we'd have something for dinner.  (It was delicious.) The pies went into the oven somewhere around around 5.  Seems to me I'm usually baking till nearly midnight.  Good thing I wasn't, this year, because I fell asleep in the middle of this, and when I woke up, I took myself to bed.

And now it's late morning, and the turkey is making the house smell delicious, the last-minute cleaning is done, and I'm about to head into the shower.  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: