Sunday, June 22, 2014

end of an era

I deleted my hosting accounts and released the domain names of the websites I've had for more than a decade.  Less than ten minutes time to undo all that work.  Not really, of course I have backups -- but now no one can see that content except me, unless I put it back up somewhere else. 

I'd been thinking about this for a while, and then received an email from my hosting company that some of my files had been infected with malicious scripts.  How ridiculous,  I thought -- what's the point of infecting dead sites?  But I also realized that I didn't want to take the trouble of cleaning up that mess, so: motivation to just delete them all.

Lots of thoughts -- should've done this a long time ago.  Mostly trying to figure out if this is sad, but not really feeling much of anything.  All of that happened so long ago, before I got into teaching and decided to go that way. It's from a different life, but I find myself strangely nostalgia-free.

Perhaps it's because I've applied to that master's program at NAU for the fall semester and have too much future to think about. 

No comments: