...and it's back!
So Thursday, I finally tried un-installing the virus protection software I had installed, and of course that was it. (rolls eyes, throws hands up in air, sighs exhaustedly)
A short list of the things I discovered through web searches, that I tried unsuccessfully:
- Apparently, this is a problem that Vista-running machines have had going back to 2009. Microsoft knows about it, and has a "fix" that addresses it, that resets the DHCP flag. Didn't work for me.
- Updating the Wifi adapter's drivers did nothing except delete all my saved network access keys. Fortunately, the only one I didn't have available (for work) the tech guys at school put back on there in about 3 minutes.
- Disabling the wifi adapter, rebooting, re-enabling the adapter did nothing.
- Editing the registry to reset those DHCP, IP-getting, etc flags didn't help either.
- Command-line stuff to reset the winsock didn't help, but the suggestion in that forum's long, long chain of comments that it had to be the security software finally penetrated.
- The only way to successfully uninstall the virus software is to boot in safe mode so it doesn't get loaded into memory on startup.
I'll back-fill this with links, etc later, but just now I've got to go retrieve one of the offspring from a sleepover.
¡Estoy contenta, mi equipo esta trabajando de nuevo!