Thursday, September 18, 2008

blech

A while ago I went through a battery of annoying, time-consuming, and sometimes painful tests to diagnose why my acid reflux had suddenly become much worse. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis, a condition which means that my stomach doesn't empty properly. If you google the term, you'll see it can be quite serious; my symptoms were never severe, although they were unpleasant.

After trying the typically prescribed meds with disastrous results, I decided to attack the problem from another angle, my thyroid meds. Because while clinically I may be hyperthyroid, I was still running low, at least for me, and hypothyroidism is one of the more common causes of gastroparesis.

So I finally got back on my old meds regimen and the problem went away... until last week. I really noticed it on Sunday, but it has been going on for a while now. I just feel gross, bloated, icky. I've been taking only 7.5 mcg of Cytomel each day for several weeks now, after spending the summer on 10 mcg/day -- but when I got home I felt like I was running a little too fast (my TSH was down to 0.03), and bumped it down...

Anyway, now I've notched it back up to 10 mcg/day for the past 3 or 4 days and so far, no change, I still have the icks. I hope the higher level of T3 kicks in soon, because I really do not want to have to take motility meds for this problem, they are really dreadful.

On the plus side of the ledger, my afternoon headaches are not nearly as frequent or as severe, so whatever got tweaked is apparently healed, I think. I hope. I'll be working with 4-year-olds starting Friday for a couple of weeks, and it will go a lot easier if I don't feel as if my head is going to explode every day.

No comments: