Saturday, March 01, 2008

still here, still sick

I've still got this cold, or possibly I just coincidentally caught another cold before the first one really cleared out. Regardless, I'm still sick.

I've tried everything -- Mucinex, Mucinex with cough suppressant, Sudafed, Tylenol Sinus (on the recommendation of my ENT), Robitussin cough gels, Claritin... and nothing really works. Nothing. No matter what I take, I have congestion and a cough, sometimes productive, sometimes not. The cough has been the worst. I have never had a cold like this before. At least the cough is better now -- I haven't taken any cough-type medicine since yesterday morning, and for the most part I can ignore the urge to cough.

I did have a 10-day course of Cefzil that seemed to help for a while. My ENT confirmed that the original sinus and ear infections had cleared, but judging from what's happening now, I think it has come back or another has developed. I spend a lot of time blowing my nose, with disgusting results. (One thing I've discovered, post-turbinate reduction surgery: If I tip my head down while I'm blowing my nose, my sinuses clear out a lot better. Maybe that would've worked before the surgery, too, but I don't think so. I never could clear my sinuses well before the surgery, which is of course the reason I had it.)

Last week was uniquely busy. I subbed in the pre-school 4-year-old class all week, and it was a blast, although it would've been a lot more fun if I weren't having to medicate myself every day so as not to be hacking all over the classroom. I also started my classes at Rio Salado, such as they are. Nothing much to do just yet, but things will pick up once I take my placement exam next week. On top of all that, there was a Thyca meeting Tuesday night, the kids started fencing lessons last weekend, and we discovered the most recent leak in the dining room ceiling is from the roof, which we had fixed to the tune of about $1800.

Finally, I just watched the most recent episode of Torchwood, "Reset," and I can't believe (highlight to see spoiler):
They killed Owen! Those bastards!
Now I just have to find some time to write it all up.

No comments: