Monday, January 15, 2007

milestones

DS1 had his first sleepover this past Saturday, and had a fantastic time. I was surprised by the amount of anxiety I managed to sustain over the time he was gone.

I have a problem, generally and chronically, with what I call "negative ideation" -- I'm not sure what the technical term would be -- but basically my imagination wanders down every possible horrible path, constantly. I have to, for example, remind myself that of course my daughter isn't going to smash open her head if she slips and falls on the tile, running around in stocking feet. But that's the kind of scenario that flashes through my brain at nearly every possible opportunity -- whether it's the milk cup upending, a glass jar smashing, or a child falling, these scenarios usually involve 1) large messes and 2) great personal injury. I cope by using short phrases to reign in the kids: That's not safe, and also: I worry. If I have to be a little crazy like this, I figure the least I can do is not nag them about it.

Anyway, the boy had a great time and now we're planning a sleepover for his birthday party in a couple of weeks.

In other news, DS2 lost one of his two front teeth, and it's taking all of my willpower not to mock him constantly for his new lisp.

Look everyone! No tooth!

Last but not least, Mom arrived today, and seems much the same as ever, perhaps a little more unsteady on her feet. It feels very comfy having her here. I'm so glad she got away from NE before she had to deal with any snow.

Oh, yeah... I start substitute teaching tomorrow.

No comments: