Wednesday, January 10, 2007

go with it

I'm having second thoughts about this substitute teaching thing before I've ever set foot in a classroom as a sub. I met this morning with the teacher I'll be subbing for, and she has most excellently arranged for everything during her absence. Earlier, that seemed like a really good thing; my stated substitute teacher philosophy is, "I'm here to maintain the status quo."

I'm not subbing to do my own thing, I'm subbing to see how well I stand up to the classroom environment. So I won't be taking over any classrooms or leading any classes on wild goose chases, although far-ranging discussions are still possible.

But just now it popped into my head how confining it may feel to have to stick to someone else's schedule, all the time. Well, at least unil the end of the school day.

That may be my biggest stumbling block, right there. I really like not being bossed around, and schools are extremely structured environments. It's going to take some getting used to, but I'll go with it.

No comments: