Monday, April 22, 2019

stings

Maybe because I'm chronically sleep-deprived (my own fault), but over the past week or so, I've had way more than my usual share of bone-headed mistakes.  Nothing major! Nobody was injured, it didn't cost anyone any extra money, nothing like that.  Just a small handful of times I was just wrong about something and refused to see it.

I know no one is perfect, but I hate it when I screw up like that (or any other way), to the point where truly minor things will keep me unsettled for days on end.  It's doubtful anyone else even remembers my mistakes happened.  Why should they? But my memory for my faults is tenacious. I still cringe remembering how I handed the scissors to the teacher the wrong way in kindegarten! (I was four and the youngest kid in the class, it was a lot of pressure at the time.) 

I'm too old for this.  I don't want to brush off mistakes as if they're nothing, I want to learn from them.  But shouldn't I be able to forgive myself and move on? Is there a way to balance the tension between rebuke and forgiveness?  I'm still hoping to find it.

No comments: