Sunday, December 02, 2018

non-continuous improvement

Trying something new this weekend: do school work on Saturday, house things on Sunday. 

Technically, I finished the school stuff on Sunday, since it's after midnight.  But the difference between finishing after midnight on Saturday and after midnight on Sunday is that I get to sleep in tomorrow.  Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't, but the possibility is delightful.

Some weekends, of course, I won't have a choice, but today worked out pretty well because I was disciplined enough to make myself slog through it. I couldn't begin to count how many weekends I've thought, "I should be doing my grading," as I zoned in front of the tv or the computer or allowed myself to go out and about instead.  I think playing my Spotify Christmas playlist and burning nicely scented candles helped me focus... that, and not sitting on the couch where I could fall asleep.

Now tomorrow I can tackle house-tasks, like clearing out the stack of stuff in the guest room, which is literally impassable at this point. (It's OK, we're not expecting any guests in the near future.) I hope to wrap some presents, too, because there's no point in doing anything else with them. I admit it will be odd to have presents under the not-yet-decorated tree. 

Of course next weekend I won't be able to have "school work Saturday", because my school robotics team has it's qualifying tournament on Saturday, and DS2's last-ever Christmas recital is right in the middle of that (I'll sneak away for an hour, no one will miss me.)  The holiday whirlwind that started last week is going full speed now: meeting Tuesday, concert Thursday, DH's company's Christmas party Friday, robotics/recital Saturday!  I'm going to need next Sunday to recover from all that.

DS1 comes home for winter break Thursday, and DD (and her kitten), a week later.  We're currently previewing what life will be like when they're truly on their own: even when they're home, they're mostly doing their own thing.  Already I appreciate the time we get to visit, and I'm really looking forward to it. Even if debilitating waves of nostalgia constantly threaten to engulf me, I can still enjoy everything the season offers.

No comments: