Monday, November 21, 2016

There, there! It's OK...

It's a week and a half later, and the left is still throwing fits.  If anything, some of them are ratcheting up the volume, as if shouting louder can change events to suit them better.

It's embarrassing, really.

I remember when Obama won, 4 years ago, and DS1 was upset because he was worried about the direction the country would take. I was, too, but I told him: in the long run, it's not going to matter so much.  We'll get up, we'll go to work, we'll live our lives as best we can.  That's what we do.

And that's what we did, and we can see that some things really were pretty awful, but the country is still here in spite of everything, and we are still living our lives.

I understand that some on the left really do believe that Trump is the second coming of Hitler, but that's because they actually believe the press, which has been completely derelict in this election cycle.  I don't believe Hitler could run so many successful businesses in this day and age.

Anyway, I want to ask them, what kind of example are you setting for your children? You're a bunch of sore losers.  I suppose you think that you're in some sort of existential struggle for justice, but you're not.  You're just whining about an outcome  you don't like.  If you really want to change it, the next election's in 2 years, see if you can win back Congress.  Then 2 years after that, there's another presidential election.  Maybe by that time, they'll understand that the president is not the emperor of the world, and that the checks and balances written into the our constitution mean something.  The most recent President Bush and President Obama after him wielded far too much power -- the presidency should not be an imperial position.  If Trump's election means that gets scaled back a dozen or so notches, that will be a good thing.

***

In the meantime: caught up with my grad school work.  Am prepped for this week's teaching, still have a ton of grades to put in.  So very, very excited that this will be super short week!

1 comment:

nina said...

I was so sad to read this. In the previous post you so beautifully wrote about the hope for moving away from "demonization of the other" and boom! In this post, well, it reads harsh.
That's not right. Or at least I don't thing it is. My belief is that people on any side of an issue (this issue) are complicated and have complicate reasons for getting to where they are. We should try to understand them without resorting to blame. The media? There's plenty of "media" on all sides of any issue.
I have to say, the only media I find worthwhile is that which seeks out and respects opposing views. Fosters discussion. Speaks intelligently on matters of policy. This other stuff -- well, it may be fine and entertaining, but it's not my thing.
Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!