Saturday, May 12, 2007

...and we're back!

I discovered a few days ago that my site metrics tools had gone wonky, yet again -- my ISP was moving accounts from an antiquated server to a new one, and mine was among them. This issue brought to the fore once again the fact that my 'net resources were less than ideal, just because I was too lazy to deal with it.

I don't know why -- maybe it's all the new computer equipment surrounding me these days -- but I decided enough was enough with the make-do situation and asked if they could move my account to the new system. They were happy to do it, on the spot and free of charge. They even advised me on a dependable, free FTP gadget: FireFox's FireFTP, which I used to download everything off the old site, and then upload everything onto the new site.

It took a day or so for the DNS names to propagate through the ISP's system so that everything hooked back up properly, and there may have been a file or two that failed to upload, but I'm fairly confident that it's 99% there -- and now I have a backup to recover from if it's not.

Onward & upward...

No comments: